Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Troy Davis

Last-ditch appeals as Troy Davis execution nears

It's hard for me to believe that we live in a world where the death penalty is considered justice. Here we have Troy Davis, set to be executed today over a crime he allegedly committed 19 years ago. The evidence is insufficient. The majority of the witnesses have retracted their statements. And he still claims innocence. So many have gotten involved in trying to appeal this ruling, yet the sentence is still being carried out. If we live in a democracy, and the number of people seeking an appeal is sufficient, should it not go through? What kind of justice system does not take into account the general public, and instead hangs on to the possible erroneous conclusion of a few individuals? We have much to learn America. World.

It pains me to see this. My heart does not understand where we have lost our sense of fairness, or where we have become so hardened that we cannot see that a life is at stake. That even if we have never met Davis, he is our brother. That the death penalty will never solve anything. Yet we see cases like Oscar Grant's where the police officer who killed him on camera walks free today. True they are different states, but justice is an universal concept.

Dear Troy Davis: My heart is with you. I'm sorry that the world's consciousness has not evolved enough to see you to an old age. I don't know how, but I will do what I can to lend a voice to you, your cause, and the improvement of our concept of justice. May you finally find freedom within, or without, but please, please, please, know that life is eternal, as are you my friend.

With heartfelt sorrow, and yet immense gratitude for being a witness I leave these words here today. This is my plea for justice.

May God forgive us all,
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment