Friday, June 3, 2011

Absolutely Beneficial: Discomfort & Change

We all hear "Follow your bliss". Not long ago I was (ahem) whining to a friend about a task I needed to handle. Just when I thought I was going to hear the old familiar words, she says "Follow your discomfort" instead. I gave a confused stare. She knew she had to explain.

She went on to say that the fear of something new and different was keeping me from doing what would be absolutely beneficial. She was right of course. So I analyzed why I was hesitating to move forward. This is what I came up with:
The weak mind is easily frightened and prefers comfort. It will never allow you to reach your goals and fulfill your destiny. It'll raise all the reasons why you shouldn't do something (doubts), and then come up with a list of what it'll rather do instead (waste time). Comfort is not your ultimate goal. In fact, by stepping out of that zone and through discomfort, you will challenge yourself to try new things, do the dreadful, come out with a new perspective, a lesson learnt, and inevitable growth in the process. Don't stay put! The rewards will always be greater leaping.

We have to become mentally strong enough to keep walking forward, even when the roads are unfamiliar. We have a place to reach. Settling in the laurels is not an option. Just remember to enjoy the exciting journey.

Today I want to challenge you to take a small step into doing something you don't want to do. Call that client. Go to the gym. Set up that meeting. Eat that Salad. Take that Class. Speak your mind. Face your Fear!

The more you practice, the easier it gets.

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby

Change can be scary. Lucky for you, the odds are in your favor.

Go get 'em!
+Erika

______________________________________________________________
Erika Matos is a transformational agent, a certified health and nutrition educator, intuitive healer, and life coach helping people shift in the right direction by critically rethinking everything assumed to be true about what it means to be a happy, healthy, prosperous being.



To learn more about her work visit http://www.realitymanifest.com/

5 comments:

  1. What a great choice! It's so easy to select the things we want to do sometimes and not the things that will stretch us or get us closer to our long term goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how interesting. I had to make a decision today that I had to reach outside of my comfort zone. This post could not have been more timely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I follow this saying from Neale Donald Walsh "Life begins outside the comfort zone."

    Lucinda Cross
    Www.lucindacross.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post! Our comfort zones keep us safe but they also stunt our growth. They hold us back and prevent us from maximizing our potential. I believe that we are here to thrive, not just to survive. I love the words of Florence Scovel Shinn "Feast on faith and fast on fear."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this reminder. In my observation the path to change starts with discomfort,then transformation then elevation.

    I generally don't like feeling uncomfortable, but when I know I am uncomfortable because of something I fear, I try to push myself to see what it's all about. Great post again.

    ReplyDelete