Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Want More Energy? Quit Coffee.

I haven't had a cup of coffee in years! For a while I was suffering from chronic fatigue and depression. No matter what I did, my energy levels were never spectacular. After many tests, and no definitive diagnosis, my doctor at the time suggested that I give up the cup of Joe. I haven't looked back since!



Now, I teach people about healthier lifestyles, and this is usually one of my first suggestions: Quit Drinking Coffee. Here are Five Reasons Why:


1. Causes a disruption of Sleep Patterns:  As a result people experience tremors, nervousness, restlessness, irritability, insomnia and anxiety.

2. Deteriorates Performance:  Worsen performance that involves short-term memory.  Negatively affects fine motor coordination due to an increase in hand and arm tremors.

3. Distresses your Heart:  Elevates blood pressure and/or serum cholesterol levels; increases irregular heartbeats and palpitations, and increases the risk of cardiac arrhythmia and heart attack

4. Upsets your Stomach: Causes higher gastric acid production which aggravates peptic ulcers and heartburn

5. May increase risk of cancer:  Specifically bladder, rectal and/or breast cancer.


In the coming days I'll be offering a list of the best substitutes for coffee, and how to obtain sustainable energy without the mid-day crash. That translates into you doing more of what you love!

No more dragging around! I'm here to help.


Get ready for boundless energy!
+Erika

_______________________________________________________
Erika Matos is a transformational agent, a certified health and nutrition educator, intuitive healer, and life coach helping people shift in the right direction by critically rethinking everything assumed to be true about what it means to be a happy, healthy, prosperous being. To learn more about her work visit http://www.realitymanifest.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love the smell of coffee, but I never found that love of drinking coffee. Many people enjoy the different flavors, style choices , i.e. frappachino, cappachino, iced, etc..., has me wondering have coffee drinkers increased? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this health tip! Excellent suggestions! A friend bought me a $100 Starbucks gift card for my birthday a few years ago. Like Jewel, I like the smell of coffee but necessarily the taste. However, I was hooked on the Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider drink!

    Although caffeine does not fall into the class of "addictive" drugs, I found it to be both addictive and habit-forming. I experienced headaches, fatigue, irritability and nervousness when I stopped drinking them. A friend suggested that I drink raw, unsweetened cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar as a remedy. Together they killed my desire for coffee, tea, apple cider, soda, candy, chocolate and all other caffeine products.

    ReplyDelete